Skip navigation

13 December 2018 You are not logged in. Login now.

How to change company officers?

change company officersIn the UK a registered limited company must have one company director appointed at all times. It is a legal requirement to keep Companies House informed of any changes to officers appointed and to update the company registers.

When forming a new company you provide the details of the first company officers. During the life of the company there may be amendments to the company structure and directors or secretaries may change. If your company’s director or secretary details change you must-

  • File the correct form at Companies House (online or using a paper form)
  • Update the company’s registers (statutory books)
  • Record the changes with 14 days of the event

You can find a range of Companies House forms online here.

Resigning a company director or secretary

When a company officer resigns their position you must inform Companies House of the change within 14 days. This is done by filing Form TM01 online or by posting the paper version to Companies House.

Remember that you must keep at least one director appointed at all times.

Appointing a new company director or secretary.

New officer appointments must be registered at Companies within 14 days. You need to file form AP01 online or by posting the paper version.

Changing the details of an existing company director or secretary.

If a secretary or directors personal details have changed Form CH01 needs to be filed at Companies House within 14 days. This form is used to advise Companies House of any change of forename, surname, residential address or service address.

Please note you cannot use this form to change a director’s date of birth. This information should not change. If a company director was appointed with the wrong date of birth you need to resign the person and re-appoint them.

UK companies may have one director from the day the company is incorporated until the day the company is no longer required and dissolved. For many businesses there are changes to directors or company secretaries at regular intervals. Whenever a change is made it is important to update the pubic register at Companies House promptly and to amend your company registers which are normally kept at the registered office.

If you need our assistance filing documents at Companies House please contact one of our advisors. With years of experience completing Companies House forms we are happy to help.

Author Mike Harris
Mike has been assisting customers with their company questions for over 15 years through the company Small Firms Services Ltd. You can follow SFS and Mike on Google+ and also twitter